1854 – First recorded Catholic Mass in a private home in Hellertown.
1921 – Ss. Nereus and Achilleus Mission Parish formed under Ss. Cyril & Methodius Parish. Father John H. Trescak was assigned to lead the mission parish. Original congregation: 13 families.
1923 – Fr. George Check was appointed adminstrator.
1925 – Mission given full Canonical status as a Territorial Parish and the name was changed to “St. Theresa of the Child Jesus”. Fr. Check was appointed the first Pastor.
1938 – Sisters of St. Francis arrive to teach. The school was officially dedicated in 1941.
1941 – Fr. John J. Ovecka, the first Associate Pastor, arrived.
1956 – The present church and rectory were formally blessed by Bishop McCormick, auxiliary of Philadelphia.
1965 – The death of Fr. Check and the arrival of Fr. Stephen Daday
1965 – Renovations began, including moving the altar to face the people, additions to the school and the planning and development of a new convent.
1966 – Fr. Daday honored with the title of Monsignor.
1975 – St. Theresa’s is 50 years old, and the St. Theresa Shrine is erected.
1984 – Msgr. Daday retires and Msgr. Raymond F. Merman is welcomed.
Since then, the following renovations and additions have been made:
- To the rectory, including placing a Computer Lab (now Science Lab) in the basement for our students.
- To the convent, creating a space in the basement for a library for our school, and an office for our Director of Religious Education.
- To the Church, refurbishment inside and out, as well as to the interior of Friendship Hall in the school building.
- Current renovations have recently included new Church Doors and windows that tell the story of our Patroness, along with a state-of-the-art sound system and new Renaissance Organ.
1997 – The Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, arrive to take up residence in the Convent and to assist in the School, Church, and Rectory.
2000 – Our Diamond Jubilee Year!
2001 – The parish enters the New Millenium with its own website.
2008 – Monsignor Raymond F. Merman retires and Monsignor Alfred A. Schlert is welcomed as Pastor.